ArtWalk Vendor Guidelines
Due to an abundance of caution, ArtWalk is temporarily on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please check back with us later. We hope to be able to host events again in the Spring of 2021.
All Vendors will be required to have an ArtWalk Vendor’s Permit for each First Friday ArtWalk. Permits are obtained from The Arts Council of Kern. Vendor location assignments are typically emailed to vendors after space rental payment is received and are also available at the Arts Council’s office located at 2001 22nd Street, suite 200. Space and locations are limited and are assigned prior to the event on a first come, first served basis.
Permits satisfy the City of Bakersfield’s Vendor requirements through The Arts Council of Kern.
Vendors must apply for their First Friday ArtWalk Vendor Permit and meet specific requirements (See permit application requirements below) prior to receiving their permit and designated location.
The Arts Council of Kern has acquired all permits and paid all fees for ArtWalk Vendors. Vendors can purchase a One-time permit, 6-month permit or a 12-month permit. At time of purchase, vendors can select and lock in their preferred location on a first come, first served basis, for the duration of their selected permit.
Permits include all resale permitting, City of Bakersfield permits, an assigned and reserved space (tables, chairs etc. not included) and licensed security officers.
ArtWalk is designed for LOCAL artists and crafts-persons who live in Kern County to exhibit and sell their original work. Original works include — but are not limited to — rearranging materials into a new form.
No walk-ins accepted. Vendors must have completed the application process prior to participating at ArtWalk.
ArtWalk is not a typical street fair or flea market.
Accepted items for sale include — but are not limited to:
- Original paintings (prints are acceptable if original works were created by the artist).
- Pottery, ceramics, original glass work, jewelry.
- Photographs (prints are acceptable if original works were created by artist).
- Books, CD’s, DVD’s originally written, performed, filmed and represented by the artist.
- Clothing such as T-shirts, hats or caps, scarves when original design is by artist.
- Fabric items including pillows, throws, kitchen items when original design is by artist.
- Sculpture, drawings, paper art including handmade cards, crafted items.
Unacceptable items sold commercially & not represented by the original artist include — but are not limited to:
- Food of any kind including samples, beverages, canned preserves, vegetables or fruit.
- Clothing such as T-shirts, caps, hats, gloves that are not originally made and represented by the artist.
- Magazines, books, CD’s, DVD’s that are not originally made and represented by the artist.
- Balloons, cosmetics (excluding handmade bath and body products), pain remedies.
- Any licensed products who hire consultants to sell their products.
- Any commercial business or non-profit organization selling or promoting non-art related items, memberships, services, service plans, or event tickets.
- Any items which depict nudity, profanity, the use or promotion of illegal or illicit drugs or otherwise questionable items that could possibly violate the family-friendly environment as determined by the ArtWalk coordinator or Arts Council of Kern executive director.
Is the product to be presented and sold a creative expression unique to the artist? If so, ArtWalk is the proper venue for your product.
The Arts Council of Kern has the right to refuse, revoke or disqualify any permit at any time for any reason on the basis of vendor activity, merchandise, behavior, direct competition of repeated product of another vendor or downtown business, or not abiding by permitted regulations as the Art Council sees fit for the benefit of First Friday ArtWalk.
Extreme Weather Conditions: ArtWalk is held the first Friday of each month throughout the year regardless of the weather. In the event of extreme weather conditions such as rain, fog, heat or cold, it becomes the decision of each vendor whether to participate. No refunds will be issued if vendors decide not to participate due to weather conditions.
Questions & Inquiries:
The Arts Council of Kern
2001 22nd Street, Suite 200
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Jeff Lemucchi, Office Manager/ArtWalk Coordinator
Two Vendor Space Sizes Available
1. 5’x10′ on the sidewalk
2. 10’x10′ in the middle of Eye Street between 18th & 19th Streets
Applicants will be given the option of choosing their preferred space on the application form.
10’x10′ spaces in the middle of Eye Street are limited and will be assigned only if available.
Apply online to be a vendor HERE
After you are assigned a space number, pay online HERE
All vendors who reserve a space must pay the fee before 4:00 pm the Monday immediately preceding the event otherwise the space becomes available to other vendors.
Permits must be kept with the vendor at each First Friday during the duration of the event including set-up and tear-down: 3:30 pm-9:30 pm.
Vendors cannot set up before 3:30 pm on the day of the event and must move their vehicles after set-up and prior to the start of the event . Vendors must move cars from blocking the streets after set up. Set-up displays must not block sidewalk pedestrian flow.
Permits are non-transferable without prior arrangements and approval by the Arts Council of Kern.
Vendors may not block business doorways, driveways handicap parking spaces or handicap ramps. Vendors must leave their space as they found it when they arrived. All trash, tables, chairs must be removed no later than 10 pm.
Vendors should not engage in any disputes with business owners regarding spaces, set-up, displays, or other issues. All concerns should be directed to the ArtWalk coordinator for resolution.